SQL Server 2016—everything built-in
Turn your mission-critical applications into intelligent application with SQL Server 2016—the first database that is born in the cloud, setting a new standard for the pace of innovation.
Industry leader in mission-critical
SQL Server 2016 delivers breakthrough mission-critical capabilities in scalability, performance, and availability for your most important OLTP and data warehousing workloads.
- Scale up to 12 TB of memory and 640 logical processors with Windows Server 2016
- Reach up to 30x faster transactions and 100x faster queries with enhanced in-memory performance
- Run real-time Operational Analytics over transactional data
- Balance loads across readable secondaries in Always On availability groups
Most secure database
Microsoft’s multi-layered approach to security has a proven track record of producing the least vulnerable database, even while being the most widely-used database on the planet.
- Rely on a database with the least vulnerabilities of any major platform—six years in a row
- Protect data at rest and in motion with TDE and new Always Encrypted
- Mask sensitive data with minimal application impact using Dynamic Data Masking
- Grant access based on user characteristics with Row Level Security
Comprehensive business intelligence
SQL Server 2016 delivers a comprehensive, on-premises, enterprise-ready BI platform that helps you to transform complex data into actionable insights.
- Create modern reports and visualize dense data with additional chart types
- Access KPIs and mobile and paginated reports using the SQL Server Reporting Services web portal
- Get faster SQL Server Analysis Services performance with parallel processing
- Use enhanced multidimensional models in SQL Server Analysis Services
- Easily set up SQL Server Data Tools Preview in Visual Studio 2015
In-database advanced analytics
Built-in advanced analytics provide scalability and performance for building and running your advanced analytics algorithms directly in the core SQL Server transactional database.
- Transform complex data from multiple sources into trusted data models using the most popular statistical modelling language
- Process analytics in-place, reducing latencies and operational costs
- Write models once and deploy anywhere: in-database, to the cloud, or to Linux, Hadoop, and Teradata
- Access thousands of R Scripts and Models in CRAN (Common R Archival Network)
Consistent experience from on-premises to cloud
SQL Server 2016 delivers a consistent experience both on-premises and cloud. You get an exceptional experience whether data is in your datacenter, in a private cloud, or on Azure.
- Dynamically stretch warm and cold data to Azure with Stretch Database
- Tackle your mission-critical workloads with larger Azure virtual machine sizes
- Rely on our cloud-first features, tested by millions of Azure databases
- Use the skills you already have with common development and management tools and common T-SQL everywhere